A week and a half into the extract-making experiment and the progress is looking promising. The vanilla extract expecially, looks a reassuringly warm brown colour, and has taken on a slightly more syrupy quality. The orange extract is looking more yellow than
orange… as I don’t have any orange extract in the house at the moment I can’t check whether it is supposed to be that hue or not! It would be rather ironic if I have to go out and buy orange extract to enable me to make extract! The lavender extract continues to get darker, which I am sure must be the a good sign. I think I will need to make some Lavender and White Chocolate brownies to try it out!
Since the other extracts are doing so well, I decided to venture out a bit further, and make an attempt at Earl Grey extract for my delicious Chocolate Earl Grey brownies. So I used the following recipe:
Earl Grey Extract
- 250ml Vodka
- 3 tbsp loose leaf Earl Grey tea
I’m not sure if this will work. I have concerns about over brew-ed tea and losing the delicacy of the Earl Grey in the vodka. So I’ll let you know how it goes; watch this space! x